Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Next Short is coming

Sheriff

This film has been a major labor of love. It started on the tail end of Der Ostwind while I was still in school. I told Kelly Loosli, my faculty adviser, that I wanted to do another visual effects film but something different from Ostwind. So we bounced some script ideas off each other. We settled on a story idea by Shane Lewis.

The premise of the story is the biggest, meanest, baddest dude in the old west comes to town to take on the cowardly sheriff, only to find himself facing something he would have never expected... a rooster with a badge!

Being that I started the film when I was in school and since then have worked on 3 different Blockbuster movies, it has morphed and changed in its look and approach since starting. Some of the elements I am kind of saddle with but in other areas there was a lot of room to maneuver. It still isn't perfect but hey... it is still born of a student film.

I have a great team of friends whom I attended school with helping me with the project and my tip my hat to BYU for allowing the project to continue to eat up resources at the University. I am hoping that for the students who help on the project will get a taste of a more real world experience of film making that many times is lacking in education.

What I am showing is a work in progress (render artifacts and all) of the new look for the rooster. He has come a long way believe you me. This is what he was:

then he was this (well not really but this was the first attempt at doing feathers and not just painted to look like he had feathers):



Needless to say, but he has improved much. He's not perfect... but then again... none of us are. I am excited as shots are beginning to be ready to render. Hopefully this film will reach even greater heights than Der Ostwind did. I would love to get to attend Sundance again. With out further adu... here he is... (right click play if necessary)



and here are just some fun posed images not really from the film but to give you an idea (not rendered... don't worry we won't have a gray rooster)

5 comments:

The Au Family said...

I am so excited for this to be done. 1. Because then I can have my husband back and 2. Because I think it is looking really cool! Plus, I heard that the actors and actresses are amazing. Especially that cute family...the one with the mom, son and daughter... Phenomenal actors! Your long hours are paying off...your chicken has come a long way and really looks great!

Rob Au said...

Thank you my dear... and your beauty shines in your big scene! ;) It was actually really fun to have you and the kids and Carly and Travis and their kids (plus all the others) as extras in the film. Robbie did such a good job hamming it up, no surprise there. He was three when we filmed it, funny same age as Lauren... who is also a ham now! Must be the age.

Unknown said...

Very exciting... You rock. I am excited to come hang out in a couple months. Keep up the good work.

alliatwood said...

I can't wait to see it! It looks so fun. I'm very impressed with the transformation that the rooster has undergone. The final product has so much more character than the initial chicken. Well done!

kevinzico said...

I hope that it'll be in Sundance as well. The improvements on the rooster are 100% better.