Friday, May 11, 2007

To the Superman Critics

Oh how often we speak because we don't know any better.

I recently commented on a friends blog and recieved an interesting response to my comment. The argument had been made that Superman was a boring character that all he did was swoop down and save people from falling buildings and that he was too invincible to relate to. First off let me say, this desire in today's society for flawed heroes is disturbing. "Superman isn't dark enough" for people to relate to. He has to have a dark past for people to like him believe in him. Well for me as a Christian I must say I believe in Christ because of his perfection and can look to him for salvation because of his pureness. Not that I see Superman as a Christ like example but more as the potential I want to achieve. Being tempted yet able to resist, being able to use my power (choices) always for good. I dont' want to be flawed myself, why would I want my hero to be? Ok, the preachy-ness is over! Now for the geek factor.
To those of you who want a more complex Superman, you would like Justice League Unlimited. It deals with the idea that Superman and the Justice League are dangerous in their power and the government forms Cadmus to come up with a defense to the Justice League. When Lex Luther becomes president he does everything he can to frame, enrage, and manipulate, Superman into retaliation. In his blind anger he fights Captain Marvel, (a superhero of the power of superman) and in that battle of anger and jealousy, Superman levels a city. At one point he has Lex Luthor in his hands and with eyes flaming red with anger and lethal heat vision, he tells Luthor that will not be that man... he will be Superman! He chooses to be good. But the struggle depicted leading up to that is awesome. His battle with to what lengths should one go to serve the right!


As to Superman being invincible he most certainly is not. He was battered, beaten down and nearly defeated by Darkseid, but when he unlocked his pent up inner rage and reservation, which he always held back in fear of killing an enemy because it wasn't his place to kill, he was able defeated Darkseid. Superman was in fact killed by Doomsday and then again later by Gog. Both times he was later resurrected but he was defeated non the less. In his battle with Doomsday, which lasted three or so issues, Superman heroically sacrifices himself as he and Doomsday land simulatious fatal blows on each other. Both were resurrected and in a later battle Superman defeats Doomsday again and gives a cool revelation into his character and feelings:

"You're different now. You can think for yourself. So think about this. Before, you were a mindless thing. Nothing could hurt you. You couldn't feel pain, much less understand it. But once you have felt it -- it changes you -- forever. And you'll begin to understand something new. Fear. I've lived with it all my life. You don't want to die again, do you? The agony of what's happened to you affects your speed -- your strength ... and that little bit of doubt -- that you cannot win today -- grows. You understand now, don't you? You will never hurt me again. You will never kill me again. Never again!"

Superman also has struggle with love, wanting to truly belong to earth, and his heritage. He is not merely a man who swoops in and saves everyone. If it is cliche and lame to want my hero to be iconic, heroic, noble, and good... then so be it. But one thing you can not say is that Superman is not an interesting hero. Even if you don't buy into him... he is most definitely not simple.

7 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

Rob Au-
Yes, everyone. It was I, Darth Spencer, Dark Lord of the Sith, who thinks Superman is boring and too invincible.

First off, after reading Rob's post I do agree that Superman is a lot cooler than I have given him credit for. Perhaps my buff should be with Bryan Singer and those who wrote Superman Returns for their inability to keep me emotinally interested. I am the kind of person who loves conflict in stories. I like the bad guys to win every once in a while. It just makes me hate them more and want to cheer for the hero with more ferocity. Even though it sucks, I like it when main characters die in movies, books, or TV shows. These things are important to me because for me, a good story is one that plays to all of my emotions, not just the happy go lucky ones.

Now as far as Superman being boring because he is invincible-- I think I've been misunderstood. What I meant was that his invincibilty creates a problem for me. How can he be defeated if he is invincible? What super vilian can compete with him? How do you break a man who can do everything? What kind of internal conflict can the viewer experience if that viewer knows that Superman is always going to win? This is why Superman is boring for me. He is too powerful.

alliatwood said...

Well I don't know much about superman, in fact I haven't even seen the movie ... but I can say that I think Superman seems like a person who I could look up to. :)

cblakes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cblakes said...

Maybe the question isn't if Superman is boring, but whether his dilemmas are boring. Spencer said he's sick of seeing Superman swoop and save people from this and that. In any case, I think Superman is definitely his own clean cut flavor, but can be exciting.

A few related things:

Does Kryptonite-drain seem like a lame weakness? I dunno. In Superman Returns I didn't get how it didn't affect SM much WHILE he lifted tons of it into space. I wonder if a different weakness work for SM.

As for Superman movies, the most interesting to me is still Superman 2, where it shows how a "perfect" man acts when he becomes mortal. The movie is cleverly realized as well.

I've read some Superman comics, and still have that Doomsday "death of superman" comic in it's wrapper. But the four spinoff superman comics that followed deflated the story. How lame to turn an interesting story into a weird, dissapointing marketing device.

Anyway thanks for taking the gloves off at watch & learn.

Rob Au said...

Great comments! To Spencer... I am in your camp when it comes to Bryan Singers Superman. I enjoyed the film. But I feel he didn't stretch into the world of superman. As for characters dieing it brings on my personal issues with death and makes me uncomfortable. So, I tend to not want to see those things. But your reasoning is so true. A good show/movie should play to every emotion. And I better understand your invincibility issue now. But I still say superman is not as invincible as most think. But sadly the movies have never really picked scenarios that portray that. Their is an animated direct to DVD "Superman Doomsday" that will be out in September, that I think you will enjoy. It's pg-13 so it is not for the kiddies.

And to Chris. To me the kryptonite drain isn't so much of a problem/lame. It is a vehicle to make even non superhero/villains to kill him. But in the movie it was extremely lame that he could lift a whole mountain of it out of the ocean. Again... I overall enjoyed the film but I blame Singer for not exploring more into the Superman mythology. It seemed like a story from the first series of movies which also never really pushed beyond the superficial of the hero. There are super villains out there of equal power to superman and they can kill him without kryptonite. Superman is invincible to the powers of this world, not invincible.
If you liked Superman II you should check out the Dick Donner Edit. It was a much better film in my take. Rough because it was only 70% his. He got canned and replaced with Dick Lester who reshot the majority of Donner’s work. All of Donner’s stuff was recovered from the Technicolor vaults in London and restored and reedited to make the closest thing possible to Dick Donner's original vision.

cblakes said...

I'm glad to hear that, and will check it out. I wasn't sure if I'd like the Donner cut. Maybe it's becasue of 'Timeline'. But I'll defenitely check it out.

The kryptonite can be a good vehicle like you say. It is a lot of fun to see connivers like Lex Luthor take on Superman. That's what made Superman 2 partly great - seeing Superman outwit Luthor.

kevinzico said...

Wow am I late in reading this post, but I must say that I do agree that Superman is a fantastic character. Every single super hero is some sort of version of Superman. Just look at the XMen, specifically Cyclops and Collosus, all they did was divide up Superman's powers among teenagers and add more angst. I must also say that I am dissapointed in Superman in that he has let his morals decay. I never got the part where he says that he will never tell a lie and yet he has no problems with lying down with women and giving them his 'super powers' in a one night stand. Isn't that a form of lying? Nope it sells comic books. It's like what the dude says with his "Marvel vs. DC" youtube videos, nobody wants to look up to role models because they'll strain their neck.