Sunday, April 15, 2007

Discovering the taste of sand

So this photo was taken at my family's favorite beach in Hermosa Beach California. I love to carry around my dad's old 1970's Canon FTB SLR. It's a wonderful machine that takes great pictures. I love to think of myself as a photographer... but reality is I am a hobbiest with an expensive (old but still expensive) toy. I love to shoot nature and my kids. I try to shoot other human subjects but the huge 200 milimeter lens weirds people out. My Dogs would be fun subjects except they jump all over me when I am around so aside from an extreme close up they don't do so well.
On this day we were at the beach (mostly because I was in the mood to shoot on the beach, but the luckily who doesn't like the beach!) I finished my first role and decided to throw in some Kodak 400 bw. This was the first role of black and white that I had shot in a long time. It was a blast to see how it all turned out. Now to the point... this picture. I happened to turn just at the right moment. Well really a few moments before, my completely manual camera isn't as simple as point and shoot. I saw Lauren considering the sand in a strange way and realized what was coming. I was so happy this photo turned out. I was able to catch on film my daughter discovering the taste of sand! (I try not to think of what was in the sand... Just a cute photo) I guess that makes me a true photographer, shoot first, worry for the person later!

For more of my photos go to http://2bitfx.com/photography/

3 comments:

The Au Family said...

I LOVE this picture!! I guess we should be glad that she looks disguted as she eats the sand. Imagine if she had a huge smile on her face as she went for more....mmmmm...sand!!

Kristine said...

What's wrong with eating sand? Clearly you're putting the wrong items into your SANDwiches. It's not a sandwich if it ain't got silica in it.

Rob Au said...

Oh... I'm not saying the silica! It's what lives on the silica! The ease at which our sewer systems back up into the ocean in SOCAL is alarming! I say rock on to SANDwiches! So long as you use hygienic sand! mmmmmmmmmmm sandwiches!