Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tron Legacy



I had the pleasure of seeing "Tron Legacy" in true Imax 3d over the holidays. Oh my! I was blown away by the fun of the movie. If you are a cg nerd like I am you will love to get lost in the absolutely awesome effects. It has flaws as all films do but for what my friends over at Digital Domain where able to do, I tip my hat.

First off, true Imax 3D is worth every dollar. I was blown away. I saw the film in "regular" 3D as well and it wasn't the same at all.

The visuals were awesome. Great environments, vehicles, costumes, and fxs! The cg Jeff Bridges at times was flawless. As with any cg human it is bound to have some bad scenes, and tron is no exception. To date Avatar's cg faces are the "coup de grĂ¢ce" of cg faces. But this was sure close. The hardest for me was the final sequence. Up until then I was nerding out over this cg man in just about every scene.

I must also say I love what Daft Punk's music brought to the film. It was perfect for the subject matter. The digital tones and synthetic sounds mirrored the visuals in the most "harmonious" way (excuse the pun).

I watched the original "Tron" a few days before to prepare myself for the rebirth. While my friends who did the same were very heavy with disapproval and cynicism, I found that my childhood memories of the film held true. It is not a great film by any sense but it is an incredibly interesting expression of a story built around a historically innovative film technique.

In conclussion, this new installment bring new life and a much stronger story to what was and is a "fun" movie franchise. While it may not be the most sophisticated film it is incredibly fun to watch.

No comments: