Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Justice League of America Movie


So Warner Bros. is pushing its JLA Movie and the rumors are flying. One thing is quite certain that with the Batman and Superman franchises well under way, it will likely be new faces reprising those roles.

Call me a nerd, but I want to see Brandon Routh and Christian Bale together in the Justice League. I have already bought into their portrayals of my childhood heroes and I don't want to have to "get to know" someone else as my kid heroes.

I understand that the studios are wanting to ride the "Comic Hero" wave while it's high. Yet, it seems like a total lack of vision and good judgment. Superman Returns... not super popular, however, one thing no one can argue is that Routh is Superman the way Reeve was in the 80's. And the main reason for that is he was almost a perfect recreation of Reeve's Superman, which is how everyone expects Superman to be played (at least all of us who grew up with Christopher Reeve as Superman). And as for Bale, he has breathed new life in the Dark Knight and returned it to the greatness of the 1989 Batman original film. So imagine those two power houses at the helm of the JLA.

Instead we are going to get two new faces that will be conflicting with the faces of the Batman and Superman franchises, which will be releasing along side this JLA feature. Justice League of America is being treated like just another comic book movie, when it should be the culmination of the afore mentioned franchises successes. A bringing together of two of the best known and arguably greatest comic heroes ever, to make the super over the top grandiose comic movie franchise.

I have this hope and vision for a deep and epic hero film... but I am afraid that what is coming will be cornball and forget-able.

3 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

I agree that it would be great to see Routh and Bale share the screen in JLA. You mentioned that you loved how Routh played Superman and the new life that Bale has brought to Batman. I believe that the credit for how these actors played these super heroes should go to the actors, but not all credit can go to them. I have no doubt that the way they played them was greatly influenced by both Singer and Nolan. Whomever directs JLA may have a diffent voice or tone for the new actors. This could be good or bad, but my bet is that it would be bad. For this reason, I would like to see some new faces in these roles. My worry is that the characters will become too common

Rob Au said...

I do agree with you that the director has a lot to do with the way an actor plays a character. And that would be interesting to see the effect a new director would have on those characters portrayed by Routh and Bale... (probably would be bad... like seeing an old friend but not relating to them because their personality has changed so much...) I guess I have been imagining what would a JLA movie be like for years now...

Most importantly is a good cohesive story with quality production value all around and the film should be good. Great comment Darth Spencer. Thanks for contributing.

You may have swayed my opinion some... You should be proud I am quite obstinate.

The Au Family said...

I guess, even if its cornball and forget-able, Robbie will love it! :) It doesnt matter how cheesy it is...if it has a superhero in it, he loves it!