Thursday, June 7, 2007

Celebrity Treatment!

Paris Hilton is free! Sort of. Her sentence was changed to house arrest due to medical reasons. I want to know what others feel about this. Apparently according to the women in the cells on either side of her they had to talk to her much of the night because her crying was keeping them up. She will now serve out here 45 day sentence at home.

Why do celebrities get such different treatment? If it had been a someone of lesser upbringing they would have thrown the book at him. A man that worked for my dad for several years was put in San Quentin, a California maximum security federal penitentiary, for hitting a parked car on his bike while drunk. Granted he had previous offenses, but he was on a bike. For his crime he was in prison for over a year. Paris was driving a several ton weapon!

Why does Paris deserve to sit at home and, according to the radio, have a message therapist flown in from Hawaii, a superstar facial from some famous somebody I've never heard of, tanning machines brought in for a "Hollywood mystique tan", and other luxuries. A woman on the radio said she would rather the heiress to serve her sentence at home and not use tax payers dollars for her sentence. I see that point, however be it a weak argument.

And yet, when we let "Hollywood Royalty" serve PUNISHMENT in a elegant resort style setting... where is the punishment? Isn't jail supposed to not be desirable for a reason? I was under the assumption the penalty needs to be an equal opposite to the crime to dissuade people from committing it?! I mean, think what would happen if everyone got the opportunity to serve out their sentence hanging out at home... or at a resort! Crime rates would go through the roof.

The double standard in our system of justice is sickening and seems to be ever worsening. What's next Phil Specter will get sentenced to fifty years in the Bahamas in his murder trial!?

What say you?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

From what I was reading, it was also partially due to health reasons... She would not eat the prison food. It is pretty disappointing.

From a legal perspective, one might argue that the initial sentence was a bit harsh for the crime she was charged for (violation of parole) although it was within the sentencing guidelines and therefore legal. I think the biggest issues is that home monitoring is no punishment for celebrities because they can afford to bring their luxuries to themselves, whereas regular citizens are still deprived while on house arrest.

All in all it is disappointing, but on the whole, our legal system is incredibly just and gets it right almost all of the time. I am not even close to decry the system because some spoiled heiress circumvented a minor punishment for another minor punishment. I personally pity Paris Hilton because I doubt anyone has been real or genuine to her throughout her entire life. I mean if you saw/heard the treatment that she received at the MTV music awards prior to entering prison... It was pretty disgraceful. But I guess that is a sociocultural discussion for another time.

Rob Au said...

She has lived her life in way that leaves me with little pity for her. Her life has been handed to her on a silver platter, and instead of using her wealth and fame for good, she sinks to the lowest levels. I think she is a foul person, redeemable, of course, but as of now foul. But I'm not wanting to discuss her personal foibles, but the system. And you are just the guy for that brother dog!

Pity her or not... She deserves more punishment than what she got. And for the record deciding not to eat because you don't like the prison food is not a medical need.

And I know the principles of our justice system are good... I think the execution of them is not as good as I think it should be.

People who are rich can afford the best silver tongue lawyers who can twist everything every which way but up. And it seems that law is a sue happy society that is about making money not seeking just compensation, the more money a lawyer gets for his client (I know what I'm talking about is civil, Paris' case was criminal) the more money he takes home.

I know there are many lawyers and judges like you who are not just good people but great people. Yet I think that as our society continues to slide our execution of the law will slide right along with it.

Unknown said...

Looks like Paris is not out of the woods. I guess the sheriff's office acted without a judges order (not a good idea). It is going back to the judge that gave her the original sentence. My guess is that she goes back to prison. He was not pleased with her in the first place. My guess is that after one day with Paris, the prison couldn't take it anymore and they tried to get rid of her. Sorry guys... you will probably get her back. In fact, I would be surprised if she did not go back to prison. Looks like the finger pointing in this case is on the law enforcement arm, not on the judiciary. I am interested in seeing how this will all affect her "good behavior" early release. Self-starvation is not "good behavior". We'll see today in court.

Unknown said...

Just as I suspected... back to prison. LA should be pretty embarrassed by how this all went down. What a joke (the sheriff's office)!

Rob Au said...

Good! And Brother Dog... I can't believe you would have questioned our judicial system. Seriously, what an uneducated blog post this is... oh wait, I made this post... crap! No seriously, hearing that is no surprise. Sadly the law enforcement hear in L.A., as seen on the May Day Melee, has had it's share of "oopses."

However I do think sending her back to Jail sends the right message for these young "Red Carpet Royals," that they can't live above the law. I think the threat of jail is scarier to them than to the criminals.

Now I enjoy my humble pie for issuing such libel about our justice system in this particular case. But I will hold my ground that the execution of law is sliding in a scary direction. Brother Dog... I expect you to save us!

alliatwood said...

I think she deserves prison time. I have no opinnion on the length of time. I just think that if she doesn't get punishment that really hits her she'll continue on breaking the law and think that her status and money will save her ... then someday she may hurt somebody innocent because of her neglagence!